Since ages, shaving and getting rid of facial hair has been important in a man’s life. To get a perfect shave, it is essential to use all the products in the right way and follow the procedure step by step to have a great experience. Nowadays, the old traditional method of shaving using shaving soap and safety razor or straight razor has been replaced by the use of shaving cream and disposable razors, but following the traditional method is always a different and great feeling. The important step in traditional shaving is the how to use shaving soap.
For a great traditional shaving experience, you will need a brush (it is preferable to use a badger brush because artificial brushes tend to have thinner hair strands), shaving soap, a razor and shaving soap bowl (which isn’t compulsory but it makes the task more comfortable). The crucial step for a great traditional shaving experience is the use of soap to form a lather, you can use a shaving bowl, or you can directly from the lather on your face, both the ways are great.
How do you use a shaving soap? here is the correct procedure:
1. Get your face ready: Wet your face, facial hair with hot or lukewarm water or a hot water towel is also good for the same so that the hair gets softened and can be removed easily.
2. Soak the brush: If you are using a shaving bowl, you can fill it with hot water, but not boiling water, keep it lukewarm and soak the brush into it. If you are planning to directly from the lather on your face, you can soak the brush in the hot running water. Once soaked, drain the extra water from the brush by shaking it until it stops dripping. If you are using a shaving bowl, keep a little of water back in the bowl.
3. Soften the soap: This should be done to get a better amount of soap on the brush. Without an appropriate amount of soap, the lather cannot be produced sufficiently. To soften the shaving soap, add few drops of hot water on the soap.
4. Swirl the soap: With the brush, start swirling the soap for few times or up to 15 to 20 seconds. You will get the soap on the brush. Now the next step is to form the lather.
5. Forming the lather and shaving: If you are using a shaving bowl, you would have kept the water in it, now start swirling the brush in the shaving bowl for minutes, you will get the lather which will be initially bubbly and later turns thicker. Apply this lather on your face without rubbing it and start to shave.
6. If you are not using the bowl, directly swirl it on your face, remember the face must be wet. Swirling the brush on the face for a few minutes forms the bubbly foam initially and later can produce the thicker foam directly on the face so you can shave it directly.
The resulting foam can be of three types:
The perfect foam: The foam will be of an appropriate thickness and can be directly used for shaving.
The watery foam: If the foam seems to be watery, swirl the brush more either in the bowl if used or on the face to form the thicker lather, if it still doesn’t form you can swirl the brush on the soap and then into the bowl or on your face.
The thick foam: If the foam is too thick, add some water into the bowl or on the tip of the brush and swirl to reduce the thickness.
If traditional is what you want then follow this step by step method to have a great shaving experience. Although it may be a little more time consuming as compared to the other methods but it is a nice way to switch up the usual method and try something different.